Why is this so hard?!?
I have 22 domains expiring within the next week. I’ve already dropped over a dozen domains earlier this year, and each one hurt. I can barely stand to look. It feels as if I’m staring down the barrel of a .22 as these URLs are released from my grasp.Some of the noises in my head include:
- But this used to get decent traffic!
- I loved that project! I should hand it off to someone who can take it and run with it.
- Oh that is a killer idea of mine, and I was gonna get to that! Can’t I still get to that?
- I could probably renew this and then sell it for more than I’ve spent on it over the years.
- Someone else is gonna snap these babies up and sell them! Then won’t I feel dumb?
As part of my Drop100 initiative for this week, I’m going to count each of these domains as a project I’m dropping. In truth, some of them are sprawling projects that I’ve managed over the last decade or two. And even for those that never got off the ground (such as DoBetter.email or DoBetter.news), they were created as projects and still carry the full emotional weight of projects that I just never prioritized enough to achieve production velocity.
I know I’m not the only one who suffers from this affliction. If you have any solace or commiseration or insight to share, please do so in the comments below. And I do plan to keep this website going (in one form or another) all my livelong days :)