In the US, we refer to the 1920’s as “The Roaring Twenties.” I’m not sure if anybody actually called it that at the time, but supposedly it was a time of expansion and partying until The Great Depression kicked in late in that decade.
A hundred years later, we started our 20’s off with a pandemic and the most expensive & vicious & precarious presidential election in our nation’s history. This is also the year that over 20% of all the US Dollars ever to exist were magically created. Whee 20’s!
I like to keep an eye out for what’s next, as you likely know if you know me. Here are some of the things we clearly can expect of the USA in what I’m calling our Whimpering Twenties. Because that’s what I think is in store.But it’s not just about what I think. Here’s what is:
- 2020 – aforementioned US presidential election, Coronavirus pandemic, & money-printing spree. Also the warmest year on record, with massive fires, floods, storms totaling over a billion dollars in damages for the first time and the year that China over took the US as the world’s largest economy
- 2021 – first major tax increase from 2017 legislation
- 2022 - year of The Great Robot Uprising (just kidding, I hope!)
- 2023 – second major tax increase from 2017 legislation
- 2024 – US presidential election (Biden unlikely to run again, Trump likely to try)
- 2025 – third major tax increase from 2017 legislation
- 2026 – Medicare goes insolvent
- 2027 – final major tax increase from 2017 legislation
- 2028 – US presidential election
- 2029 – Social Security goes insolvent
There’s a lot of stuff we don’t know about that will likely happen too, of course. But keep in mind that aside from the joke in 2022, each of these things are very very real. This is not me making any projections here, follow the links to see these very credible estimates. These are the known knowns, so we can’t plead surprise on these.
I urge you to plan accordingly, as I do.